Thanks for that, Scott. I guess it is growing on me - perhaps a bit like the mold on the door, or the mushroom in the shower. Okay, it really is a pretty view and at night the breeze blows through our house and it is nice and cool. Oh, and the sky glows this amazing purple color. See, I can see some good in it.
So, the real reason I started this post was because I forgot to tell this kind of funny story. This morning Drew comes running out to me and says, "Mom, you have got to see this." Knowing that this is his new way of getting me to pay attention to him, I asked what I just had to see. He then shells out this story, "It's this dinosaur that lived a long time ago and got smashed and it's flat and it's eyes popped out." All the while I am growing a bit nervous as he is leading me towards my bedroom. Well, when we got there, to my not-so relief, it was not a dinosaur, yet a small lizard, dead and smashed as flat as could be. Now, I probably would have taken this a bit better had I not been most certain that I was the cause it the poor buggers demise. I was hoping that the crunch and smoosh the other night was just the loose board in the parquet floor - I guess not. See how much I love Singapore? And, now you know why I said a kind of funny story.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love the stories keep them coming..how long are you going to be there?
Gee, I wish I would have had a blog when we were in Peru, my emails home were a lot more mean and hateful. I'm glad you are at least keeping an open mind. Seriously, Jer and I almost got divorced over it. I was really depressed. It's a hard hard way to live. Your apartment reminds me of the one we used to stay in when we would go to town for food and what not. Oh, except ours was one room and a bathroom. See we didn't have kids then, so Jer was not very accomidating. You will survive though and you will not like it, but you will laugh at the adventures and you will really understand why America is so great. Plus, you are making memories. I hated the jungle, but I don't regret going because it taught me so much and it's an experience that most people will either never have or never want. I try to shift my frame of mind when I travel third world. We backpacked Mexico and Belize right before we went to NH and it was basically the same thing as Peru. I just let go of clean and comfortable because I know that it will never happen. Even the really nice hotels in Peru were still third world. They just don't think like we do. Like the squatter for example, no American would ever go for that. It's just a different way of living. It's very hard though, I hated that kind of humidity so I feel for Drew. You can't escape it and like you said no matter how much you clean, you will always feel dirty. It's just that way. Soon you will learn to live with it and it will bother you, but you'll be like, "hey, I'm nasty, oh well." It's all just a mind shift. Sorry this is so long, but like you said, if Hillary can do this, then you can too! I'm a baby and a lot of people are shocked when I tell them that I lived in the jungle, had parasites and the whole bit. I guess it just comes down to lowering your expectations. Once you get used to it, you will be ok. It's like being a missionary. Just make sure Scott buys you a sweet house when you get to Austin. Oh, and remind me to tell you about the shack that we stayed in while we were in Belize. Let's just say, we had crabs in what was supposed to be a shower. It's a great one. When you mentioned the mushroom, I though of it.
That's not so bad -- it's nicer than half my mission apartments.
wow! I have never been out of the U.S but I have to say you are a good wife, and a brave woman! These are the kinds of situations where you have to say... "if it doesn't kill me then it will make me stronger" what a great experience, it will make you soooo thankful for any other place you ever live once you get back! Keep up the great stories, we are all here for you!
I am laughing so hard right now. I feel your pain Brooke. We are both so out of our elements right now. Granted your apartment is HUGE compared to mine, but I don't have the grime or cockroaches to worry about (it is too cold here right now!) WalMart would be amazing -- the nearest grocery store is also about 1 mile away and walking back with groceries and 3 kids is crazy too and diapers cost a ton. Baby food is like $2 each container so I am going to have to make my own. It is beautiful though and neither one of us will be here forever -- and our husbands will forever owe us for this adventure! Our apartment doesn't have a squatter thank goodness but the ones at the park are squatters and so Mason wouldn't use it. I did get him to stand and pee, but not number 2. Not having a dryer is weird. I don't like my clothes taking all day to dry, or not being dry -- sure you feel the same. So...if you need to vent I'll listen, since we are in the same boat!
oh thats a funny story! haha. glad things are getting better over there & i'm sure it will only get better :) hopefully no more squashing lizards!
and your boys are SOOO stinkin cute!!
its been too long!
mindylouriggs.blogspot.com
Post a Comment