I'm pretty sure that yesterday was Thursday, yes, it was in fact, and it was our first real day in Hong Kong. We got up, got ready and headed out to find breakfast. We didn't get very far before we saw the hotel cafe where they had a buffet. We thought that sounded good so, we headed in. It was a combination of foods - eggs, bacon, toast and also fried noodles, dumplings and stuff like that. It was pretty good - Scott seemed to really enjoy it. The waitress said because the kids were so small that they would not charge us for their food, and she brought the bill. $368. Yep, that's right. Luckily, that's HK dollars, so, not quite as shocking (still $50) - guess we'll find someplace else to eat next time. I was feeling a bit yucky (probably jet lag) so Scott and the boys went out exploring to see what they could see. They walked down a few blocks to Kowloon park. Hong Kong is quite a busy city - even up in Kowloon where they say it is calm compared to Hong Kong Island, so it was quite a change in the park to have a serene environment. After some time in Kowloon park, they headed back to get me and to go to get lunch. As we found out, eating here is a bit of a challenge - me being a vegetarian, Drew being 4 and Taylor not eating much except beans and bread. This combination does not go well with a country that eats a ton of fish. Well, after about 1 1/2 hours later we finally found a place to eat something. Then, off to explore again. They wanted to show me Kowloon park, so we headed over there. There was an aviary, beautiful grounds, a maze, sculpture garden and probably more that we didn't get to see. We walked up and down the streets and in some of the shops. Around here it is pretty much shop after shop and there are tons of malls. It's really strange that almost every where you turn, there is a shop. Lots of tailors, camera shops, Chinese dried what-nots shops, and luggage and clothes. We also walked over to the pier and watched the boats and ferries going back and forth. Around dinner time, we weren't sure we had he stomach or the energy for another lunch-time experience, so we went to Pizza Hut. I know, I know, all the way on the other side of the world and we went to Pizza Hut - pathetic. Oh, but don't worry, this Pizza Hut was different - you could get a pizza with thousand island dressing, shrimp, and mushrooms, or some other variety of strangeness. We didn't. We got a cheese pizza. After that, with two very sleepy kiddos, we headed back to the hotel. So, we are taking a bunch of pictures, so I hope they are not too boring.
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, what an adventure! The pictures were fun to look at! I bet Drew is having a good time exploring. Good luck finding meals!
Just to clarify--this is Aunt Nancy!
I am still at a loss. Why are you in Singapore/Hong Kong? And what about your house in Austin? I asked Carl and he didn't know anything about it. Are you there for an internship? Did you lose your Chinese? From the way you described the airport, it sounds like it. I'm sure it will be whipped into shape in no time. I love your pics and your narration. And I also wish you luck with the food thing.
Those pictures are SO cool! That park looks awesome. Wish I could visit Hong Kong! :)
Post a Comment