Friday, February 29, 2008

Singapore Zoo

On Friday February 29th, we went to Singapore Zoo. I have to say that I have been to a bunch of zoos, and this one, hands down, is the coolest zoo ever! The whole thing is done "natural habitat" so that the animals can feel at home - so are many other zoos, but this one you can actually see the animals - it was almost a bit disturbing how close you could get to some of the animals.
What was seriously fun was the enclosures that you could walk through, like the "Australian Outback" exhibit that had kangaroos (big and small) that were just bouncing about right in front of you, it had some other strange little critters and then there were the emu. Angry birds. One of them followed us along most of the trail giving us the stink eye.


But, aside from the diseased looking birds, it was very cool. Also, there was a "Fragile Forest Bio-dome" that had birds, bats, butterflies, sloths, ringtailed lemurs, and these teeny tiny deer running all around right there with you.

A bunch of the animals are in "free ranging" habitats - meaning that you can pretty much reach out and touch them - though they ask you not to. The Orang Utans are in this kind of exhibit and you go up a boardwalk and end up face to face with the whole Orang Utan family! Many of the monkeys were in these same kind of habitats.


There was also a really amazing elephant show. They brought all five of the elephants out and had them showing us stuff they would do in a logging camp - amazing. The mahuts - elephant trainers - showed us all the things they do for their training, like getting off and on the elephants, and they did a little comedy in their act as well. It was really fun.

They had all the good animals - lions and tigers and bears - oh my! (Sorry!) Really, though, they had tons of great animals - we walked from place to place for hours and I think we still missed a few of the animals. It seemed like this zoo had everything - all of the normal animals, but also komodo dragons, a manatee, white tigers, and the lucky animal of the year - the capybara (the worlds largest rodent).

So, the craziest thing about this zoo is it is in three parts - the Singapore Zoo, the Night Safari (which is a whole other zoo - most featuring nocturnal animals), and the Bird Park (with over 1300 birds). We still have the two others to do, so stay tuned for those.

Oh, and on top of the fact that they had cool animals and exhibits, the grounds were also amazing.

We all had a great day. Okay, I'm done now - if anyone actually made it this far!

6 comments:

Annelisa said...

We thought the zoo here in Japan was way better than any we had been to before too! Glad the diseased bird didn't get too close!

Cam and Afton said...

DANG! Is all I have to say....can I come move in with you guys! Im glad to see that you are able to do so many fun things there. I wish I could come visit! What a fun experience!
Or is it???

The Toronto Family said...

sooo I know you want to get back to the US,but man that is a cool ZOO! this is the kind of stuff that you have to think about when all you want is to be home, thinking about the awesome Zoo makes it all worth it right? I guess I will let you decided because I'm not there. Take care all! I'm glad you are having fun!

hillary said...

Now that looks like a zoo Jer would actually go to. He hates the zoo and I have yet to get him to go to one with us. Can't wait until Izzy can talk better so she can persuade him. I don't think he could turn her down. Looks like a lot of fun!! Glad you guys are finding so many cool things to do! I'm actually starting to think it might be a cool vacation spot. I'll talk to you more about that when your adventure is over.

Brittanie said...

That zoo looks freakin' awesome! HELLO! Was that kangaroo just hanging out on the walkway?? FUN! Love ya!

Christi said...

I believe the capybara is called a carpincho in certain parts of the world. Maybe I have the wrong rodent. ANYWHO---you are having quite the time over there. I love the pics and the experiences. Didn't that make you freak a little when Taylor climbed into that lady's lap? I don't know if I could handle that. and the SNAKE? I love snakes, but watching one that big curl up around my kid.... I don't think so.