So, my brother Jared called on July 1st and said that he was going to be flying into San Antonio the next day and asked if we were up for a road trip (it's only an hour away). The boys and I were very excited to get to go see him and also see San Antonio. We went and picked Jared up at his hotel, then headed over to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk. Now, perhaps I just wasn't paying attention in my history classes, but I didn't remember anyone telling me that the Alamo was in the middle of a city. Even present day, I pictured the Alamo in some remote, desert area - not a couple blocks from the mall and across from the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum. But, that's just me. Anyhow, after a break to get some snow cones and bee attacks, we went to see the Alamo. Like I said, I was a bit disappointed to see McDonald's arches and a historic monument in one view, but I ended up being quite impressed. And, like I said, I think I wasn't paying any attention in history class because I had no idea that David Crockett (king of the wild frontier) and James Bowie (Bowie knife) were there and died protecting the Alamo. Granted, they were just a couple of the many who died to protect their freedom during that war, just names I should have recognized. We had a lot of fun walking around looking at all the knives, cannons, and other war what-nots.


Then after we had seen all the building, the grounds, and gotten totally drenched from the sudden downpour, we headed on over to the Riverwalk. I didn't know what to expect, so it was quite fun to see the beautiful buildings, trees, and of course the river, that made up the Riverwalk. We had nowhere else to be that afternoon, so we decided to walk around the entire thing. It was really beautiful and there was lots to see. The kids loved watching the little duck families swim around, and they also just loved to be free to run around. It was a very fun afternoon.
Then we went to a very yummy Mexican restaurant for dinner - the best chips and salsa! Taylor even love the salsa, which had a bit of a kick to it - the waiter called him "Speedy Gonzales." It was really fun to be able to spend the day with Jared.
2 comments:
I learned TONS of stuff about Texas when I read the book "TEXAS" by James A. Michener. It's really good - kind of long in parts but it's a historical fiction novel so it kept my attention for the most part! You might like it - especially now that you live there!! Love ya!!
I've probably never told you that I lived in Texas until I was eight and went to James Bowie Elementary School and I still couldn't tell you much about the Alamo. Nice, huh?
Post a Comment