Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Puppy

Little Lizzy
So, I hesitate posting this because it makes it truly official that I get the "Worst Mother of the Year Award", but I'm going to. So, Drew loves dogs and has been asking for one for about 2 years. But, since we have been moving so much and living in apartments and rental houses, we haven't been able to have a dog. Well, one day, Drew asked for a dog and Scott says to him that when we move to Texas we can get a dog, a truck, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. Well, you tell a 2 year old that thinking they will forget it, but no, Drew is a bit like an elephant. In Singapore when we started telling him we were moving to Texas soon, he would get excited and say, "yea, then I will get my dog." Well, we didn't really know what to say, so we kind of went along with it. Then, we got to Texas and were staying in the hotel while our house was being finished, and he asked when we could go get his dog - we told him that we would have to wait until we got into our house. Then we got into the house and he asked again -and we said we needed to get settled in a bit. Blah, blah, blah. Well, we decided we would get him a dog for Christmas, but because of some travel, we would have to get it early. Well, we found this adorable little puppy in the paper and decided she was the one. Scott drove 3 hours that night to go get her and bring her home and in the morning we put reindeer antlers on her and gave her to the kids. She was a pretty cute little puppy. Drew was very excited to get her and he named her Lizzy. We had some fun times with her, although she was a stubborn little thing. One day I took her to the park and put her on her leash, but she refused to walk. So, I ended up carrying her. She didn't sleep very well for a couple of nights - poor Scott was up with her every hour - but we eventually figured out she was just cold and lonely. After we figured that out, she did really well at night. Her favorite potty was my kitchen floor, though I appreciated that she didn't use my wood or carpet. (Don't worry if you come to my house, or eat here, it is super clean now) She loved, loved, loved Taylor. But, he didn't return that affection. She loved to run and play with him, and plow him down, and it just mad him mad. I think Scott was her very best friend, and at night after she had exhausted herself from soiling my house and destroying everything in her path, she would sweetly go and curl up by his feet and get belly rubs and watch TV with him until he put her to bed at night. I don't even really know why or what happened, but I had to be done with her and I took her back to her owner. Scott and Drew said goodbye to her and we talked about how relationships don't always work out, and I took her back while Drew was at preschool. I don't even really know what to write about it, because it was such a horrible thing to do, but we miss her and we are glad she was a part of our family - even for a short time.

1 comment:

bechtold clan said...

Ah- so cute- so much work( a puppy with training and all) but totally worth it....dang I miss my dog still.....