Monday, June 09, 2008

Catch-up

Okay everyone! We have returned from no-internet land and we are slowly getting life back up and running. We are in Austin, TX, in our new home and we are loving it! But, before I get ahead of myself, here are a few events from last month....

Scott returned from Singapore on May 7th and then turned around and graduated on the 8th and 9th! Yeah! We are so excited that he is done with law school. It has been a wild, fun, long and short three years. We are very proud of him and excited for him ~ Congratulations Scott!

(Taylor liked the cap too - he thought he was pretty hot stuff)

Then, on the 10th, we headed out to Texas. We made a little overnight stop in El Paso, then headed the rest of the way on the 11th. Our house wasn't quite done, so we went to a hotel for what seemed like an eternity. Especially, since on our first night there, we got woken up by a fire alarm at 4:30. So, we escaped the blaring racket and headed outside. After about 15 minutes, they came out and announced that they found the source and that we could return (the alarm was still going), but we waited until the fire department came to shut off the alarm. Turns out it was burned popcorn. Nice. Well, the next day, we woke up to another fire alarm - this time at around 6:45. Honestly, we thought that it was another popcorn alarm, so we slowly got ready to go outside - we certainly took our time. Well, this time, we didn't just get one truck of firefighters walking up to the building - no, we got 8 firetrucks, 4 paramedics, and 4 fire chiefs - all with full gear running up. Well, turns out it was an electrical fire, and there wasn't much damage, so we got to return after about an hour. On the way in, Drew walked up to the firemen and said, "Thanks for coming to help save us." They all really liked that, so we got a picture with a few of them.


We stayed for a few more nights at that hotel, and only had one other mishap - when the tornadoes were blowing around the area, we got some trees folded over the power lines, so the power went out (so, that made three days in a row). Then, we moved hotels, because they were still trying to get the house ready. But....

Finally, we were able to close on the house on May 23rd, and we were very excited to have our home. So excited, in fact, that we didn't want to stay another second in the hotel, so we went to our storage unit and found our mattresses, threw them on top of our car and drove them home. This is a picture of our king size mattress on top of our Hyundai. We got lots of points, stares, and laughs - but hey, we get that a lot.

Anyhow, we have had requests for house pics, and I will get those up when I get stuff the rest of the way unpacked - sorry - it looks like a wreck right now, but I will do it. Other than that, Scott started his job on May 12th, and seems to really be enjoying it. Pretty much from the first day he said they were piling work up on his desk, so he is keeping busy too. On top of that he is going to Barbri classes right now, so he goes to work then goes to his class and gets home around 10 every night.

So, that's what is going on right now. Oh, and for anyone interested, we welcome anyone who wants to come see Austin - it's a really fun place - you know you want to come see us ;-)

And, here is a final picture to leave you with - Drew "posing" - we're really not sure what he was doing.

8 comments:

bechtold clan said...

Oh my!! Sounds so fun! Cant wait to see pictures of the house. so Texas is the place you will be now? Do you like it? I went to Austin last year for a few days..man it was fun

Monica said...

You always have such adventures!! I am kind of glad that my life is a little less exciting! My brother lives in Dallas. If it's not too far we will swing by -- if we ever get around to visiting him.

hillary said...

Welcome to Texas!!! It's a great place to be. So Heid called me about coming to see you, we would love to come out. I need to get your number so I can call you and be a better friend. I know I'm lame. Anyway, congrats on your house! Hope to see you soon.

Jeremy said...

Wait a minute. You actually went to graduation?

I think Nate and I did a cost-benefit analysis and found it more beneficial to skip the affair. 1) It was held in a tent, 2) Just to purchase our "dress" was $100, 3) We were already in God's country (i.e., Texas), 4) Our student speaker was a reknowned drug-user, and 5) It was FPLC (need I say more?)

Scott, have fun sitting in a room with 3,000 other people for 3 days and trying to figure out if you missed the most obvious point to an exam question. The bar and the 3 months leading up to it were truly the darkest times of my life. But I'm sure you will be the exception to the norm...

Anonymous said...

Oh, is the bar exam coming up? I guess I should start thinking about studying for that sometime soon.

heidirees said...

Yea!! You guys finally get to settle down. That's way nice. But, you have my condolences...Barbri/BAR time sucked so bad! Seriously, I hated those months. But, they don't last too long. It'll be over before you know it! I've been meaning to call you...I promise I will soon.

Tim and Amy said...

wahoo! glad school is finally over for you guys! can't wait to see your new house!

Annelisa said...

Doesn't it feel great to have Scott done? Great grad pic. We didn't go (like Jeremy, Brian did a cost analysis and level of fun analysis and it wasn't worth it)
Glad you are in your house, maybe one day I'll be in one too! :) Post pictures soon.